Saturday, February 24, 2007

Spinning Plates


Woking on spinning a few plates at once. The cigarette texture on No Small Favor will take some time to build, so I'm also working on a revisitation of two pieces. One was completely done three years ago, but I disliked it so much, I left it facing the wall downstairs. It was the original version of Stellar Flame.

I sawed off the sculpted pieces and am using the remaining outline as a sculptural feature, adding new pieces on top of the ghost of the old piece. It will have LOTS of model's pieces on there by the time I'm done. The idea is a spilling down (or rising up?) of influences reacting to the main subject's nearly ticklish mirth.

Thanks KB, WS, RN (the younger), and TF for modeling so far...

This is one I've been working on since last August. I was trying to get a sense of strength blossoming from an upwelling of energy, almost like a wave, but it's been really mediocre so far. I'm going with more plaster pieces to give the lower section more bulk, pushing attention up toward the face. Don't know about the arm yet. I just put it down on that canvas because my hands were full, but it seems to lend something to the image. I'm trying to decide if that's a good thing, though. That's what happens when an idea isn't well formed before hitting the sculpting phase.

Head and shoulders, RN (the elder), ummmm .... chestral regions and arm, meself.

No comments: